Thursday, March 1, 2012

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News...

So, we went to the pediatrician this morning. It was a pretty interesting visit.

First, I should mention that we had a bit of a disaster yesterday when Max was given a Flavor Ice at school that I wouldn't let him eat. I've never, ever felt so bad in my life. The poor thing was absolutely devastated - you'd think I'd told him he could never play cars again. But, we made a beeline to the Common Market and picked out some cookies, crackers, Popsicles, and other treats, like new soap and Glee gum. He was happily munching on his Coconut Popsicle by the time we got home.

Okay, back to the doctor.

We saw a nice, young female doctor, which made me happy. Not to be biased, but I find that when you're doing something considered a little more "earthy/crunchy," it's better to have someone from a younger generation. Dr. Lee was very on-board with a diet modification and believes, like we do, that food is our first line of defense. However, there were still some other clues to Max's behavior that she picked up on -- more specifically, his quantity of sleep. Apparently, kids need 10-12 hours of sleep. Max gets about 9-10, but he may very well be one of those kids that needs 12+ to function at his optimal level. For the last few days, Max has napped at school and had a great day. While we still believe the diet is the right route for us right now, it's nice to know that there is something else that we can do to help Max -- something that's FREE, since I'm spending an absolutely insane amount of money on food right now.

Max is also in the 95% for height, which he always has been, but because he's tall for his age, the doctor suggested that people might have higher expectations of him. Make sense, too.

And we heard some of the same suggestions we already know, but it never hurts to get a reminder -- less TV, more transitional time between activities, don't give choices if there isn't actually a choice (i.e. do you want to get dressed for school? What if the answer is no -- then what?)

So, today is Parent/Teacher conference day, so I'm not home to feed Max and Matt gets to do it on his own. He's ordered him a small white pizza from our local brick-oven pizza place (no tomatoes...) and I made homemade onion rings, ready to be baked in the oven. Plus my delivery from www.naturalcandystore.com came today, so there are bags of lemon lollipops and Sundrops for him to eat, too.

I'm excited to hear about how they do -- it's good for me to let go of the reins a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment