Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Starting Over

One of the most challenging things about Feingold is the "infraction" process. When the dieter reacts to a trigger, the reaction can often last for 3 or more days. Such is what happened to Max on Monday after eating almond flour. It was literally, literally like he'd lost his mind. It stayed that way for two days.

As is the FG procedure, we took Epsom salt baths to cleanse his system. They also recommend you drink some baking soda, but I couldn't do that to him -- I always taste his juice before I give it to him, and with 1/2 tsp. of Baking Soda in it, it was unbearable.

Now, 48 hours later, it seems like we've weathered the storm, but it was a doozy. I'm hesitant to say that, but things are much calmer today and he had a good day at school. So, now, since an infraction occurred, we have to start again -- we go back the number of days from the infraction and start from there.

If I'm being honest, we really weren't following the diet to the letter. I was trusting my instinct and intelligence to choose FG products that weren't in the approved manual -- just stuff I was "sure" couldn't be a problem. We've put so much money into this already, I hate the idea of wasting food. But seeing now what an unapproved food can do, especially one with hidden salicylates, I've made the decision that I'd rather waste food than experience this again.

So now, we're sticklers. Only stuff from the manual. No diversions. And, hopefully, we'll see the results we were starting to see -- except this time, they'll stick...

No comments:

Post a Comment